Military Deferred Action: A Parole in Place (PIP) Alternative

[Leer Post en Espanol]

Military Deferred Action is an alternative filing option to Military Parole in Place. However, not every alternative is better. The purpose of Deferred Action is to “Defer” the “Action of deportation.” To qualify for Deferred Action, the Applicant is usually unable to apply for Adjustment of Status.

If someone is unable to receive Lawful Permanent Residence (a Green Card or unable to apply for Adjustment of Status), then they are basically deportable and have no protection from deportation.

Military Deferred Action would provide some protection. If approved, the Applicant qualifies to receive Employment Authorization, a Social Security Card, and possibly even a Travel Permit. However, the Applicant generally has to state their immigration violation(s) and their inability to receive a green card, which could prevent ever receiving a Green Card in the future.

However, as with anything that sounds like “pleading guilty,” you should speak with an Immigration Attorney. The benefit of having a Social Security Card, Work Authorization, and a Travel Permit sounds amazing, but a denial of Military Deferred Action may instigate a deportation proceeding or provide a damaging testimony (admissions to committing immigration violations) to the US Government that could be used against you.

If you have any concerns about immigration issues, you should speak with a local Immigration Attorney, or you may call Fickey Martinez Law Firm, P.L.L.C. at (910) 526-0066. If you want to learn more about our Immigration Team, please visit the following link: Meet Our Immigration Team

Disclaimer: This Blog is made available by the lawyer or law firm publisher for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.