IMMVI Topic: Can I Acquire a Social Security Card with the IMMVI Document?


IMMVI is a Military-based Humanitarian Parole program. Once you enter the United States, you are a Parolee. As a Parolee, you are then eligible for a Social Security Card.

Parolees are generally provided an Electronic I-94, available at:

[Note: Some SSA Offices request a card version of the I-94, but that is either an extra fee you have to pay at the time of entry or the common practice by CBP is to provide the electronic version on the CBP Website. CBP transitioned to electronic records over card records in 2013.]

The relevant SSA Policies are as follows:

RM 10211.190 – Evidence of Parolee Status for an SSN Card – states:

A. Definition of parolee
A parolee is an alien who is allowed to enter the U.S. under emergency conditions or for purposes of the public interest. For a full definition of parolee, see RM 10211.001B.32.

B. Evidence requirements
Certain parolees applying for an original SSN may submit only one document to prove age, identity, and immigration status for an SSN card. For information on the exception to providing two documents when a parolee submits only one, see RM 10210.020.

C. Employment authorization
Not all parolees have employment authorization. A parolee’s employment authorization depends on the evidence of parolee status submitted.

RM 10211.195 – Evidence of Parolee Status When an Alien Submits Form I-94 or Unexpired Foreign Passport – states:

Form I-94 with a parole stamp in the upper right corner is evidence of parolee immigration status. If the parolee does not have a Form I-94, then a parole stamp in the unexpired foreign passport is sufficient evidence of parole status.

Generally, the stamp shows:

  • a “Parole Unit” designation or the stamp header “PAROLED;”
  • a purpose of parole (e.g., “Public Interest”) or a class of admission indicating parolee status (e.g., CP or OP); and
  • a port of entry, action date, and inspector stamp number.

An I-94 or unexpired foreign passport with a parole stamp may show a handwritten departure number when Customs and Border Protection (CBP) electronically assigns the alien an I-94 number in their system.

If the parolee shows an I-94, the handwritten departure number supersedes the preprinted number. The preprinted number may or may not be crossed out.

RM 10211.135 – Evidence of Non-immigrant Status for a Social Security Number (SSN) Card – states:

A. Evidence for lawfully admitted non-immigrants
Each alien lawfully admitted as a non-immigrant should have an unexpired immigration document and an unexpired foreign passport as evidence of his or her status. The data shown on the immigration document and foreign passport should agree. Compare pictures appearing on visas and passports against the applicant for in-person interviews. In some cases, the alien may have a current immigration document, but may not have a foreign passport (e.g., asylees, refugees, parolees, victims of severe forms of trafficking, or certain Canadian citizens). In these situations, accept the unexpired immigration document alone. In other situations, the alien may only have an unexpired foreign passport with an admission stamp.

How to apply for a Social Security Card?

Our office has the following guidance on how to apply for a Social Security Card:

How to apply for a Social Security card at the local SSA office and what documents are needed for immigrants?

How can I change my name (based on marriage) on the Social Security Card?

Generally, only the last name can change based on marriage. Some countries have a common practice of changing the middle name, but that is not possible in the US without a court order. The SSA may not allow a last name change based on marriage and may defer to USCIS to make such changes in their system before SSA feels comfortable updating it in the SSA System.

More guidance on immigrant name change can be seen here:

Name Change and the Green Card: Things to Know

If you have any concerns, you should speak with a local Immigration Attorney, or you may call Fickey Martinez Law Firm, P.L.L.C. at (910) 526-0066, email at, or complete our Contact Us Form on our website.


Related Blog Posts:

Virtual Utah Marriage: Alternative to a Proxy Marriage for Immigration Purposes

2022 Military Immigration Option: Immigrant Military Members and Veterans Initiative (IMMVI)

IMMVI: How to Prove “Urgent Humanitarian Reason” or “Significant Public Benefit”

IMMVI: What are Additional Favorable Discretionary Factors?

IMMVI: I’m Confused, can my Spouse immediately become a US Citizen after receiving IMMVI?




Disclaimer: This Blog is made available by the lawyer or law firm publisher for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.