I-151 Green Card: Things to Know


The former Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), now the USCIS under the DHS, issued Form I-151 (Alien Registration Receipt Card), commonly called a “green card,” to aliens from July 1946 through 1978.

On March 20, 1996, the I-151 Alien Registration Receipt Card became invalid by law. Holders of the I-151 card were recommended by INS (now USCIS) to apply for a New Green Card. Although Holders of the I-151 would not be considered to have lost their permanent residency, they have been and will always face difficulties in obtaining employment, entitlement benefits, and reentry into the US from abroad.

If you attempt to reenter the US with the I-151 card, you will ultimately be allowed to enter the US, but expect delays and complications. To the Contrary, when seeking employment, the I-151 Card is not valid proof of employment authorization.

Another Version of the I-151:










Related Blog Posts:

Lost Green Card: Replace? Renew? What is the Right Form?


Disclaimer: This Blog is made available by the lawyer or law firm publisher for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.

Leave a Comment