What is a Boarding Foil or a Travel Foil?


If a Green Card is lost or stolen while a lawful permanent resident (LPR) of the United States is abroad, they may seek readmission to the U.S. after a temporary absence of less than one year through a document called a Boarding Foil or Travel Foil. The “Foil” allows a Green Card Holder to board the airline for transport back to the U.S. without the presence of a Green Card. Generally, a Foil may be received in 2-5 days.

How is a Foil requested? You must make an appointment to visit the Immigrant Visa Unit of a U.S. Consulate. Generally, prior to your appointment date, you will need to do the following (but confirm your specific U.S. Consulate requirements):

  1. Complete the Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation) – Form I-131A.
  2. Create an online USCIS account
  3. In the Online USCIS account, pay the $360.00 USD for the I-131A application.
  4. Forward the payment confirmation, a scan of the biographical page of your passport, and note your Alien Registration Number to the Consulate’s Email Address for Foil Receipt.

Upon receipt, the U.S. Embassy will confirm Lawful Permanent Residence Status with USCIS and then schedule an appointment.



Disclaimer: This Blog is made available by the lawyer or law firm publisher for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.