DHS Annotated US Social Security Card versus an Unannotated US Social Security Card

Immigrants and many visa holders are able to apply and receive a US Social Security Card. This post will not cover eligibility requirements, but rather the difference between annotated and unannotated cards. The US Social is oftentimes “annotated” with the requirement of the person being presented the card as proof of US Social to confirm the information with DHS.

Who receives the Annotation?

In the Family Immigration Context, a US Social Security Card is usually annotated for the following individuals:

  1. Holders of an Employment Authorization Card
    • DACA
    • TPS
    • (C9) – Pending I-485 Green Card Application
  2. Employment Visa Holders that applied for a Social Security Card while still in Status, such as J Visa or H Visa
  3. Individuals that have an I-94 that permits them to work
  4. K-1 Fiance Visas

Once a Lawful Permanent Residence Card is received, the US Social Security Card can be updated to an “unannotated version.”

Once any Social Security Card is received, the SS# should never change. So, going from annotated to unannotated would not change the Social Security Number.

What benefit is there to update Social Security Administration (SSA)?

The annotation focuses on “Employment.” Thus, it can affect employment, the I-9 Authorized Employment Form, and possibly other aspects. Moreover, SSA should be updated on any status changes since it may affect SSA Contributions and possibly your tax filings.

Related Blog Post:

Name Change and the Green Card: Things to Know

When Do I Receive The Employment Authorization Card through the Pending I-485 Green Card Application?



Disclaimer: This Blog is made available by the lawyer or law firm publisher for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.

Leave a Comment