North Carolina Name Change: Absolute Divorce


A divorce is a stressful period of one’s life. A spouse can leave a portion of their life behind them by changing many things about themselves, even by changing their name.

In North Carolina, a divorcing spouse may file a name change within the Absolute Divorce or after a final divorce decree by filing out the one-page OCC-SP-600 form. The filing fee for this form is generally $10. The only requirement is that the requester of the name change must resume a maiden or previous name (“resumption of former name”).

If a desired name change is different from the former name, the requester cannot use the OCC-SP-600 form, and must draft a petition for a name change. A free template of a notice and petition of name change is provided by SelfServe Center, based in Charlotte, NC.

However, as with any do-it-yourself legal aid, it would be wise to ask a lawyer any questions you may have, even to assist in the filing out of the above mentioned forms.

Once a name is changed, there is still much work to be done. The name must be updated in many places, with the following being all that come to mind: Social Security Card, Driver’s License, Passport, Post Office Record, Voter Registration, N.C. Birth Certificate, Health Department Record, Insurance policies, IRS records, Any Contracts entered into, Bank records, Credit and Debit Cards, Retirement Accounts, Employment Records, Professional Licenses, Membership at stores, Your Will or Trust, Power of Attorney, and Living Will.

A new name after divorce is easy to acquire, with paperwork being relatively brief. The only concern is the updating of all records to reflect the new name. However, this struggle should be considered a good thing because it is helping to create a new life after divorce.

Disclaimer: This Blog is made available by the lawyer or law firm publisher for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.