The Law Firm may request a client to seek out a Co-Sponsor, when a Petitioning Spouse, Petitioning Parent, or Petitioning Child fails to exceed the Poverty Level Guidelines. Meaning, the Petitioner does not earn enough income to have a successful I-864 Filing. The Co-Sponsor would also complete an I-864 form. However, before our office prepares the I-864, we use this questionnaire to verify the Co-Sponsor’s income exceeds the Poverty Level Guidelines.
A Co-Sponsor can also check to see if they qualify by visiting: https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p
The Math is: If 3 people live with the Co-Sponsor. The I-864P would count one for the Co-Sponsor, three for the other people in the house, and one for the immigrant. The total household size would be 5.
(Suggestion) Please Consider the following when verifying qualifications: Under the I-864P, a Co-Sponsor, dependents, household members, and the intending immigrant would be considered as part of the household size.
If the Co-Sponsor qualifies, the Law Firm would need the following copies to be emailed, mailed, or dropped off to our office:
- Proof of US Citizenship (Birth Certificate, Passport, Naturalization Certificate)
- Current Government-Issued ID
- Most Recent Tax Return or IRS Transcripts
- The last 2 years of Tax Returns or IRS Transcripts
- Most Recent W-2, 1099, 1099-R
- Past 12 months of paystubs if employed
- Past 12 months of Bank Statements, if retired
- VA Letter, if retired and/or disabled from the armed forces
- DD-214, if discharged from the Armed Forces
Please complete the Questionnaire below to the best of your ability. We thank you for your time and assisting our client.