B Visa: Change of Status or Extension of Status

B-2 Visa and Status is available for visitors to visit and/or stay in the United States for a short period of time for touring and sightseeing, visiting family and friends, receiving medical treatment, attending a conference or social events, or enrolling in short study courses without credits. B visa holders can only engage in activities listed above and must not work or receive compensation from any U.S. Employer.

How long can someone stay on a B-2 Visa?

Individuals entering or holding in the B-2 status are typically given an initial status of stay of six (6) months or less.

Can the B-2 Visa be extended?

Extension of this initial status for another six (6) months may be available if you intend to engage in the permitted activities without commission of any crimes or violating terms of admission to the U.S. It is ideal for B-2 visa holders to contact an attorney at least 60 – 90 days before expiration of status (date shown on I-94 Lawful Entry/Exit Record) to ensure that your filed application has sufficient time to be reviewed and approved.

If I enter the US on a B-2, can I do a Change of Status to a different visa?

If the foreign national is already in the United States on another nonimmigrant visa status, he or she may change to B2 status by filing Form I-539 Change of Status with the USCIS. B2 visa holders may also change the status to other visa status under certain circumstances and conditions. However, changing your status can often be complicated and have serious consequences if you make mistakes in forms or required documentation.

How does the B-2 Visa compare to the Visa Waiver Program?

For foreign nationals from visa waiver countries, they may be eligible for Visa Waiver Program as an alternative to the B-2 Visa. Admission is granted for up to 90 days, but it is not possible to extend or change status once a foreign national has been admitted under the Visa Waiver Program.

The full list of visa waiver countries please see: http://www.esta.us/visa_waiver_countries.html.

Below is the estimate of our fee for Change of Status and Extension of Status. If you do not see exactly what is needed to meet your needs, please contact us.

Filing Category Attorney Fee Filing Fee
I-593 $600 – $1000 $455

If you are interested in changing or extending status, please feel free to contact Fickey Martinez Law Firm if you are interested in our assistance.