USCIS I-134 Affidavit of Support: The Basics

The I-134 Affidavit of Support is similar to the I-864 in that it is a financial contract with the U.S. Government that guarantees that if an immigrant was to ever become a public charge while in the United states, the sponsor in the Affidavit of Support would reimburse the government for any losses. Meaning, the sponsor would pay the government if the immigrant was to accept public funds such as Welfare.

The I-134 is used when a nonimmigrant visa is applied for by a foreign citizen. Visas, like the K visa, require an I-134 Affidavit of Support. However, the I-134 Affidavit of Support may not be required in 100% of the nonimmigrant visa processes, but it may be requested by the Consulate Officer administering the Visa Interview.

To clarify common misunderstandings, if more than one visa is issued, then each visa must have its own accompanying I-134. Additionally, the financial income of the sponsor must meet the Federal Poverty Guidelines by 100%, unlike the I-864 125% requirement for civilians in the United States.

The sponsor should always provide supporting documentation to prove the proclaimed income amount. Tax Returns, W-2s, Bank Statements, Pay Stubs, Copies of Bond Certificates, or an Employment Letter are all ideal proofs of income.

Finally, although the I-134 is titled an affidavit, it only needs to be signed by the sponsor. The Affidavit of Support does not need to be signed before a notary public. If you have any concerns, you should speak with a local Immigration Attorney, or you may call Fickey Martinez Law Firm, P.L.L.C. at (910) 526-0066 or email at


Disclaimer: This Blog is made available by the lawyer or law firm publisher for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.