US Immigration: Multiple Marriage Certificates to the Same Person?


Marriage is very beautiful, it can be a lot of fun, it can also cause a lot of confusion if you marry too much. For example, if a couple marries once in the Philippines or Colombia, and then “again” in the United States, they run into the question:

Which Marriage or Marriage Certificate is valid? and the better question, which is accepted by USCIS for immigration purposes?

This blog post will answer this common question and situation.

Why would someone marry the same person more than once?

Now, we are not talking about remarrying after divorce. Rather, some believe a marriage can only be recognized if the marriage occurs in a given country.

If your spouse is from Colombia, you would want Colombia to recognize the marriage. You may also want the family in Colombia to attend the wedding. But, the US Citizen Spouse would also want their family to attend a wedding in the US and would want the US to Recognize the wedding.

Similarly, another common situation, you perform a Marriage Ceremony by double proxy in Montana (possible option for active-duty service members) while stationed overseas in Germany (or Italy, or South Korea, or Japan, or Spain, ect), but then thereafter marry in Germany.

Hopefully, we are now on the same page of the same book.

Which Marriage is recognized?

Only the first, legal marriage, acknowledged by the local government would be considered legal and accepted by USCIS.

So, usually, the first marriage wins.

The NVC, aka National Visa Center, states guidances on what type of document and which agency is required to produce an acceptable Marriage Certificate that would be recognized by the US and US Immigration Agencies.

Better Alternative:

Just marry once, doing it right the first time, and just renew your vows at a beautiful ceremony.

If you would like to set up a consultation, please feel free to call Fickey Martinez Law Firm at (910) 526-0066 or message us through our website’s Contact page.


More of our Blog Posts:

Active Duty US Military, Double Proxy Marriage in Montana, and US Immigration

The Road to a Green Card: Adjustment of Status or Consular Processing



Disclaimer: This Blog is made available by the lawyer or law firm publisher for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.