South Korea Birth Certificate Requirement for US Immigration


The US Government requires BOTH of the following South Korean Birth Certificates in order for someone to Immigrate to the United States:

  • The Basic Certificate (Detailed) “Gibon Jeungmyongseo (Sang Sae)”
  • Family Relation Certificate (Detailed) “Gajok Kwankye Jeungmyongseo (Sang Sae)”

What are the differences between the two certificates?

A Basic Certificate “Gibon Jeungmyongseo” can be issued to Korean nationals.  The certificate is updated when there are changes to the person’s status, such as name change, custody, and death.

A Family Relations Certificate “Gajok Kwankye Jeungmyongseo” can be issued to Korean nationals and contains information on immediate family members (biological and adopted parents, spouse, and children).  It is updated when there are status changes to any of the family members, such as name change, custody, and death.

How to Apply for the Certificates?

Option 1: Individuals can apply for the issuance of these certificates with a Korean ID at an issuing office in person.

Option 2: Qualified family members (parents, spouse, children, siblings, etc) may apply on an individual’s behalf.

Option 3: A third party can only apply with a power of attorney.

Individuals can print certificates online at and at if they have an authentication certificate.  After logging on to the websites with an accredited certificate, one can go to Internet Civil Petition Application, and select the certificate he/she needs to print.

Please see the links below for more information:

What Language should the Certificate be in?

US Immigration requires the Original South Korean Birth Certificate, along with an English Translation. Our office has the following recommendation for Translation Services:


Note: Our Law Office does not assist in acquiring Birth Certificates. Due to Privacy or needing to be a citizen of that country, only the person named on the birth certificate is normally the only person permitted to request such documents.


Disclaimer: This Blog is made available by the lawyer or law firm publisher for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.

Leave a Comment