Canada Police Certificate: US Visa Document Requirement

The Canada / Canadian Police Certificate is a requirement for a number of US Visas, most importantly to include:

  • K1 Fiance Visa
  • K3 Spousal Visa
  • CR1 Conditional Resident (Spousal) Visa
  • IR1 Immediate Relative (Spousal) Visa
  • IR5 Immediate Relative (Parental) Visa

The Police Certificate is similar to an FBI Fingerprint Check within the United States.

Where can the Police Certificate be requested?

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, as of September 10, 2018, performs a fingerprint-based record check of the RCMP’s National Repository of Criminal Records through their Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services (CCRTIS).

The RCMP website can be located here:

To obtain the Police Certificate, you must submit your fingerprints to a local police service or RCMP-approved partner agency.

Based on the province, the Police Certificate may be called It is also known as:

  • police information check
  • background check
  • record check
  • reference check

There are a few RCMP Options, which is required for US Immigration?

  • The Record search MUST be the “Certified Criminal Record Check.”
  • The record check DOES NOT show the Applicant’s fingerprints.
  • You MUST also specifically request the record which includes the “RCMP National Repository entire holdings.”

What does the Canadian Police Certificate look like?

An example pulled from Google Images can be seen below:

What if my Police Certificate shows a record exists, what should I do?

Applicants MUST provide court records for any dismissed and convicted court matters.

Applicants who have been convicted of a crime in Canada should obtain a certified copy of court records from the clerk or registrar of the court in which they were convicted.

Please Note: Canadian pardons have no effect under U.S. law. Applicants who have been convicted of a crime in Canada that was subsequently pardoned must contact an RCMP office to obtain both a Certified Criminal Record Check and copies of their pardoned criminal record.

In cases of controlled substance violations (such as drug possession, sales, or trafficking), court records should indicate the type and quantity of the substance involved. If court records do not include this information, applicants should seek to obtain it from the records of the police service that investigated the case or the Crown prosecutor’s office that prosecuted it.




Disclaimer: This Blog is made available by the lawyer or law firm publisher for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.