Because of COVID, I can’t see my Fiance and start the K1 Visa Process

This is probably the most common statement among K1 Visa Applicants that DO NOT meet the Physical Meeting Requirement of the I-129F Petition. Many US Citizens believe that COVID has still “closed” the world as it did back in 2020.

However, throughout 2021, most of the world “reopened”:

  • airports reopened permitting travel,
  • plane ticket pricing normalized and flights became more frequent,
  • Most Embassies and Consulates reopened and began issuing visas to the US or to foreign countries,
  • Businesses reopened to some extent
  • Curfews reduced or have lifted altogether
  • Covid Vaccination has become widespread and Boosters to combat Variant Strands have come about
  • Covid Testing has been supplied, to the most part, throughout the world and is used heavily in international travel

The topic of whether Covid is “stopping” a US Citizen from seeing a foreign fiance practically ended in 2020 by the “reopening” mentioned above.

The I-129F Fiance Physical Meeting Requirement can normally be accomplished by the US Citizen traveling to the foreign country of the fiance (or both fiancees can meet in another country that is not the US or the fiance’s home country). If Visas are required, they should be acquired at the Foreign Country’s Embassy well in advance of the estimated travel.


Related Blog Posts:

What qualifies for the K-1 I-129F hardship waiver?

US Citizen’s Guide to the Fiance Visa Process in Manila Philippines

US Citizen’s Guide to Marrying in the Philippines and Immigrating a Philippine (Filipina) Spouse to the United States

Proxy Marriage and US Immigration: Clarification on the Consummation Requirement



Disclaimer: This Blog is made available by the lawyer or law firm publisher for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.