I-864: Using Dividends and Stock Portfolio as an Asset


The I-864 affidavit of support is a mandatory form to establish “financial stability” for the immigrating spouse or family member. There are instances where the Sponsor has either been extremely successful in the stock market or has been investing for years and is at a point in life where the investment is either supplementing the annual income or has completely taken over the annual income due to the investment’s size.

For USCIS, a USCIS Officer would need to review the following documentation when it regards a stock portfolio:

  1. Platform’s Current Report of investments and possibly an estimate of annual dividends
  2. Most Recent Year’s 1099 and any Form Ks
  3. The past 3 years of 1040 Tax Return Filings and IRS Tax Return Transcripts

The Stock Portfolio can be utilized either as:

  1. Income stream from dividends
  2. asset

As an income stream, the Dividends would be considered at a 100% valuation. However, if you are receiving dividends in the amounts of $30k to $80$, the Stock Portfolio as an asset is likely between $500,000 and $2 million. Assets are valued at 1/3 and 1/5 valuations, and nearly 100% of the time would be able to satisfy the USCIS I-864 requirement by itself (as an asset). Showcasing the stock portfolio as both a “renewable income stream” and as an asset is beneficial for purposes of the I-864.

Related Blog Posts:

VA Disability and US Immigration

How to Request your IRS Transcript: Helpful Guide to Acquire this Commonly Requested Immigration Supporting Document

I-864 Asset Calculations





Disclaimer: This Blog is made available by the lawyer or law firm publisher for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.