When the System Breaks: I-751 Receipt Notices were never received?

USCIS is like a well-oiled machine. When one part sticks or breaks, the whole machine slows down or comes to a complete stop. If you are reading this blog post, you likely have the following questions:

  • What happened to my I-751 Receipt Notice?
  • Why didn’t I receive the I-797 Receipt Notice for my I-751?
  • I never received my I-751 Notice, how do I renew my Driver’s License?
  • My 2 year Conditional Green Card expired, can I still work?

During COVID-19, during the USCIS Closure to the Public, the USCIS Service Center(s) handling the I-751 process failed to mail the I-751 receipt notices due to a system glitch. This glitch, coupled with USCIS Officers working remotely, has led to many Conditional Green Card Holders NOT receiving the document needed to travel, renew a driver’s license, or feel safe that USCIS has started to process their filing since they only had “90 days” to submit the joint filing. The I-751 Receipt Notice is important since it is proof of an 18 Month Green Card extension starting from the date the 2-year conditional green card expired.

If you are in this boat, there are two tricks.

First, if you paid by check or cashier’s check, USCIS Stamps the back of the check/cashier check with the USCIS Receipt Number, which would easily permit an E-request on the USCIS Website.

Second, an INFOPASS should be able to be scheduled to provide a 1-year Temporary Green Card, also called an ADIT Stamp, sticker, or card.

Both of the above options are possible solutions while you wait for the missing I-751 Receipt Notice.

If you require Immigration Assistance, please consider contacting our Immigration Law Firm to schedule a Consultation.


Related Blog Posts:

Filing N-400 while the I-751 is pending

Travel Abroad with the I-751 Receipt Notice

I-751 Joint Spousal Filing: In Love with your Best Friend and How to Prepare



Disclaimer: This Blog is made available by the lawyer or law firm publisher for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.

Leave a Comment