How do I Respond to a USCIS Request for Evidence (RFE)?

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) may, during their processing of a filing, determine that they need more information, some clarification, or documentation. This process of providing more information to USCIS is called a Request for Additional Evidence or a Request for Initial Evidence, both of which are commonly referred to as an RFE.

[Haga clic aquí para leer esta publicación en español]

How to Resolve an RFE

First, the Request For Evidence must be thoroughly read for the important information it contains. Granted, the RFEs are generally boilerplate, templated notices, but they do provide sufficient information as to what is being requested and the many likely alternatives that may satisfy the RFE.

How long does someone have to respond to an RFE?

Second, the recipient of the RFE is given a certain period of time to respond to the RFE, and failure to timely respond leads to a determination on the evidence (already deemed insufficient), which would likely result in a denial. The typical response period for an RFE is either 30 days or 87 days, and USCIS must receive the response by such deadline (meaning postmarking is not accepted and could to tardiness and a denial).

Can multiple RFE responses be sent?

This is a common question to many RFEs. In short, the first response must be sufficient to respond to the RFE. If extra, beneficial evidence is discovered after the response, many filings would be benefited by the addition of more supporting evidence. However, to stress, the first response must fully and completely respond to the Request For Evidence. Put your best foot forward or the first response may lead to a denial.

What evidence should I provide?

For the evidence needed for the Request For Evidence response, you should closely review what is being requested in the RFE. If you have doubts about the evidence to provide, the forms being requested, or the detailed information being demanded, then you should speak with an immigration attorney about your filing.

If you have any concerns about immigration issues, you should speak with a local Immigration Attorney, or you may call Fickey Martinez Law Firm, P.L.L.C. at (910) 526-0066 or email at


Disclaimer: This Blog is made available by the lawyer or law firm publisher for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.